Monday, November 9, 2009

Miscellany.

The biggest problem with blogging about videogames is that, well, you have the built-in distraction of playing videogames when you should be blogging. I tried to bring the two worlds together earlier today by writing a review of my latest pixellated fixation, Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, but instead I just ended up playing the game itself for five hours. FIVE HOURS. And it's not even that great a game (Kotaku says pretty much everything I was going to say anyway, in slightly different terms, in their own review. Yeah, I'm not a lazy blogger; I'm efficient).

But I should probably stop shirking my duties already and draw attention to a few interesting developments in Videogame World - developments which numerous other far-more-responsible and on the ball blogs have gotten to first. What are you gonna do?

First off, American McGee's back at the Alice mill, and while there hasn't been a whole lot of media, there is this intriguing trailer making the rounds. The first Alice was, for all of its superficial Hot-Topic\Tim-Burton-ripoff qualities, a solid third-person actioner with some very clever design elements, and I'm curious to see where McGee ends up going with this.

The MMO thing has been getting stale in recent years, but The Secret World (which may or may not be the official title) looks like it may inject some new life into the genre. Or not; it's hard to tell given the similarly-limited material available thus far. Either way, the contemporary urban setting and secret-society theme is a welcome new approach to the tired, hack-and-slash fantasy conceit of 90% of the current crop of MMOs. My brother (who both plays a lot more MMORPGs than I do and reads a lot more comics than I do) describes it as "a bad-ass Hellblazer MMO", and I have no choice but to defer to his expertise in such matters.

Finally, via Threadless offers up this little retro gem:



So they weren't aliens after all. I mean, the ships are probably being flown by aliens. Possibly aliens that look exactly like said ships. There are so many meta-layers here I can't even begin to comment.

You can get it here for the very reasonable price of $18.

No comments:

Post a Comment